Watching a movie with a bowl of popcorn in front of you is a great way of having fun at the weekend. That was my favourite activity to do on a Friday night when I was a kid. But for this family, it turned out to be the nightmare of their life. Nicole and Jake Goddard from Colorado were enjoying watching Mrs Doubtfire. At that moment, the youngest of the children, Nash, started choking and his dad did the Heimlich manoeuvre. Fortunately, he was able to take a breath and the family believed it was because of the popcorn stuck on his throat which he eventually swallowed.

Nicole said to Fox News.”We knew he was breathing, we did not see anything come out so we assumed he’d just swallowed it.”

But some hours later his parents observed that something was wrong with his breathing. They believed it was because their two daughters had lately been sick and he may have caught it from them. But things got worse and they didn’t realize how serious the situation was until they called the paediatrician who told them to take him to the emergency room.

After the terrible experience, Nicole posted on Facebook to forewarn others and stated:
”He (Nash) had a fever, so I gave him Motrin and put him to bed. A very long night with him and then his breathing looked a little laboured to me and he just didn’t feel good. I called my paediatrician immediately and said Nash needs to be seen ASAP. At 6 pm they put Nash under and performed the procedure (a Bronchoscopy). I paced and cried the entire time my little man was in surgery…He had aspirated popcorn into his lungs when he choked. The body recognized it as a foreign object and put puss pockets around it. All the inflammation caused him to develop pneumonia in his left lung.”

Posted by Nicole Johnson Goddard on Sunday, February 24, 2019

Nicole said that they had taken 6 pieces of popcorn out of Nasha’s lungs and due to high inflammation they had to repeat the process two days later to check if they had removed it all. He also told her that popcorn should not be given to children under five. “I got a lecture of course on how popcorn isn’t supposed to be given to anyone under 5.I hate to use the excuse he’s our third child so I overlook and don’t pay as close attention to the dos and donts as we did with our first,” she stated.

In order to forewarn other parents of the risks of giving popcorn to little children, Nicole shared a post on her Facebook. It has been shared 140.000 times.

Now that I’ve had a chance to sit and reflect on a very unfortunate but eye opening event that our family encountered. I…

Posted by Nicole Johnson Goddard on Sunday, February 24, 2019

I had no clue you shouldn’t give popcorn to children under the age of 5 and given the comments on her post seems like I’m not the only one who didn’t. Please give this post a share to help someone from suffering the terrible experience little Nash had to and make parents become aware of the risks this popular kids’ snack could bring.