Never would this little girl imagine that going on holiday with her parents to Egypt would leave her with scars.

Madison Gulliver is the name of the girl whose parents had the idea of giving her a temporary tattoo as a treat, which it didn’t turn out to be a good idea.

Henna is a particular dye made from the henna tree and some other plants. It has been used for a very long time to make tattoos without causing any problems. The little girl’s tattoo was made out of henna and this would lead to the idea that henna is toxic, but truth is that something else caused burns.

A toxic chemical dye called paraphenylenediamine or PPD is contained by black henna in high levels and is illegal to be used for skin products.

The young girl’s father said ”She is potentially scarred for life after getting a black Henna tattoo. The tattoo was done in the hotel’s salon and they claim it’s not the Henna and that it’s my daughter’s skin she has blisters from her finger to her elbow and is in so much pain.”

”We were entirely unaware of the dangers and I think they should warn of this in the brochures. I think it’s partly my fault because I didn’t know about it. But also the fault of the salon because they are using dangerous chemicals on children we would have thought that the travel agents would have had concerns about this.”

Her parents posted the story on social media to avoid it from happening to other children or even adults.

She was taken to burns specialist who cut the blisters but left her with scars, possibly life-lasting ones. Hopefully, with the progress made in medicine, we believe she will get the help she needs.

Her parents` advice was to avoid the use of black henna tattoos, particularly overseas ever since cosmetic regulations vary from one place to another.